Wednesday, July 7, 2004
Bite with Belkys: Macadamia Nut Crusted Mahi Mahi from Nikki Marina
You've probably heard of macadamia nut cheesecake, but what about a macadamia nut mahi mahi dish? Tonight, we're cooking up this catch of the day and mixing it with a taste of the tropics. Time to grab A Bite With Belkys.
The Chef: Tim Hughes
The Restaurant: Nikki Marina at the Westin Diplomat Hotel
The Dish: Macadamia nut crusted mahi mahi with ginger tempura bananas and tropical papaya sauce
Mahi mahi Ingredients:
½ cup Toasted macadamia nuts (chopped nuts)
1tsp ground white pepper
3 tbsp kosher salt
4 6 oz. Portions of Fresh Mahi Mahi
1 tbsp of oil
1) Mix salt, white pepper and ginger and season fish
2) In a dry sauté pan over low heat add nuts and cook until golden brown
3) Crust fish lightly on both sides
4) In a sauté pan over medium high heat add the fish and cook for 3-5 minutes or until fish is golden brown turn over and finish in a 350- degree oven for for 5-8 minutes
Ginger tempura bananas ingredients:
1 tsp powdered ginger
1 tbsp Kosher Salt
½ cup flour
¼ cup water
4 bananas peeled and cut in ½
3 cups of oil heated to 350-degree
1) Mix ginger, salt flour together and add water slowly. (Mixture should resemble pancake batter.
2) In large saucepot with high side fill with oil ½ way and heat to 350-degree. Acquire temperature by using a thermometer.
3) Dredge Bananas in tempura mixture and fry till golden brown, Drain on paper towel.
Papaya Sauce Ingredients:
1 large papaya, Peeled seeded and chopped
1tsp fresh ginger
1cup reduced orange juice( take 3 cups orange juice and reduce to 1cup)
2 tbsp honey
Salt and Pepper to taste
1) Combine all ingredients in a Blender and puree until smooth
Note (If the mixture gets to thick add some water to thin it out)
If you don't like mahi mahi, chef tim says you can substitute with another firm fish like tuna.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Nikki Marina at the Westin Diplomat Hotel
3660 South Ocean Drive