Wednesday, October 13, 2004
Bite with Belkys: Thyme Scented Chicken Like People Do In Catalonia
Tired of the same old boring chicken? We've got a tasty twist -- to perfect that poultry. The recipe, as we grab A Bite With Belkys.
The Chef: Jordi Valles
The Restaurant: Mosaico Restaurant
The Dish: Thyme Scented Chicken Like People Do In Catalonia
4 chicken breasts with skin on and bone in
1 stick of butter, softened
3 garlic cloves
2 tablespoon of chopped fresh thyme
2 oz (1/4 cup) cooking oil
1 bag fresh spinach
2 tablespoon of pine nuts
2 tablespoon of golden raisins
1 tablespoon of olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 cup of Moscatel or any other sweet wine or dessert wine
1 cup of Demiglace or beef stock
1 tablespoon of honey
1 tablespoon of butter
1. Prepare a seasoned butter by mixing together the softened butter, 2 cloves of the garlic finely chopped or pressed, the juice of 1 lemon and 1 tablespoon of thyme. Roll in plastic wrap to form a cylinder and refrigerate.
2. Gently place slices of the seasoned butter underneath the chicken skin without removing skin.
3. Salt and pepper chicken breasts and sear on medium heat, skin side down in sauté pan with the cooking oil.
4. Remove chicken from pan and place in ovenproof dish at 350º for approximately 15 minutes or until done.
5. Make sauce by placing all but one tablespoon of Moscatel, demiglace, 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 tablespoon of thyme in sauce pan and reduce by ½ over med-low heat (approximately ½ hour) and then add 1 tablespoon of butter to sauce 1 minute before serving to emulsion.
6. At the same time sauté the remaining clove of garlic, sliced, in the olive oil for 1 minute on medium heat, add the spinach and cook for two minutes and then add the raisins, pine nuts and the remaining tablespoon of wine and continue cooking over low heat for five minutes.
7. Serve by presenting the spinach on the base of the plate, add the chicken breast on top and finish by adding the sauce of Moscatel.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
1000 South Miami Avenue