Wednesday, November 3, 2004
Bite with Belkys: Portobello Mushroom Philly Served With Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
Looking for a hearty but healthy sandwich alternative, that's light on carbs and calories? We've got a vegetarian take on a traditional philly cheesesteak. Time to grab "A Bite With Belkys."
The Chef: David Dinnerstein
The Restaurant: Healthy Bites Grill
The Dish: Portobello Mushroom Philly served with roasted red pepper sauce
Ingredients for sandwich:
- 2 portobello mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red onion
- 1/2 cup low fat mozzarrella cheese
- 1 multi-grain hoagie roll
1. Remove the stems from the portobello mushrooms and set the stems to the side.
2. Season the portobello tops with minced garlic and place in a pan or oven proof dish.
3. Cut into slices the red pepper, the green pepper, the red onion and the mushroom stems. Put the veggies into a pan or oven proof dish and put them and the mushrooms into a 450 degree oven for 15 minutes. The mushrooms are done when they're flimsy.
4. Remove the mushrooms from the oven, and slice them up. Add them to the other veggies, top with the mozzarella cheese and put them back in the oven for two to three minutes.
5. Place the ingredients on a multi-grain hoagie and serve with the red pepper sauce.
Ingredients for roasted red pepper sauce:
- 1 roasted red pepper, fresh or canned
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 pinch dried basil or oregano
- 1/4 cup olive oil or olive/soy blend
1. Place the red pepper, mustard, garlic, black pepper and basil or oregano into a mixer or blender and blend 20 seconds or until smooth.
2. Slowly blend in the oil.
3. Refrigerate sauce till ready to use or serve at room temperature.
Serves 1 or 2.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Healthy Bites Grill
6365 N. Andrews Avenue
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309
9704 Clint Moore Road, Boca Raton
Web Site: www.hexs.com