Wednesday, November 24, 2004
Bite with Belkys: Miami Beach Steak and Shrimp Served With Hibachi Chicken Rice From Benihana
Instead of serving the usual thanksgiving dinner -- why not take the family out for something a bit different? Trade the turkey for teriyaki. The chefs from a popular South Florida restaurant cooking up a feast -- in tonight's "Bite With Belkys."
The Chef: Oscar Aviles
The Restaurant: Benihana
The Dish: Miami Beach Steak and Shrimp Served With Hibachi Chicken Rice
Teriyaki sauce ingredients (makes a large batch):
- 3 large bottles soy sauce
3 large bottles sweet rice wine vinegar
5 lbs. Sugar
3 cups tonkatsu sauce
6 cups ketchup
Ginger juice (squeezed)
Apple juice (squeezed 6 pieces)
1 tsp. Black pepper
3 cups corn starch
3 cups water
Teriyaki sauce method of preparation:
1. Boil soy sauce in one pot and sweet rice wine vinegar in another pot until they come to a boil
2. Mix soy sauce & sweet rice wine vinegar together and bring them to a boil again
3. In a bowl, stir together sugar, tonkatsu sauce, and ketchup, and when it's mixed add it to the pot with the boiling soy sauce and vinegar.
4. Add the ginger juice, apple juice and black pepper.
5. Heat this all up for 10 to 15 minutes on a low fire.
6. Mix the cornstarch and water together, then add it slowly to the teriyaki sauce.
Hibachi chicken fried rice ingredients:
- White rice
Hibachi chicken fried rice method of preparation:
1. Scramble eggs in a sauce pan.
2. Fry the vegetables and add to the eggs.
3. Add white rice and friend pan chicken to the mix.
4. Mix them well.
5. Add the garlic butter, salt and black pepper
6. Add the soy sauce.
7. Add sesame seed and mix well.
Miami Beach steak and shrimp ingredients:
- 6 large shrimps
1/2 pound skirt steak
1/2 cup mushrooms
1/2 cup scallions
Miami Beach steak and shrimp method of preparation:
1. Cook the shrimp and beef on a grill until done.
2. Add the mushrooms and scallions.
3. Add 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce.
4. Plate the dish.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
1665 NE 79th Street Causeway
North Bay Village, FL 33134