Wednesday, February 1, 2006
Bite with Belkys: Shrimp Brushetta Crostini with Fresh Mozzarella from Bernie Kosar's Steakhouse
If you want to impress your friends this Super Bowl Sunday, you can always score in the kitchen. Tonight, we found an appetizer that will definitely earn points with fans for both teams. Time to grab A Bite with Belkys.
The Chef: Dan Harri
The Restaurant: Bernie Kosar's Steakhouse
The Dish: Shrimp Brushetta Crostini with Fresh Mozzarella
- 1/4 cup pickling spices
- 1 doz. Cooked large shrimp (sliced in half)
- Add pickling spices to pot of boiling water.
- Add shrimp to water.
- Boil shrimp for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the shrimp from the water.
- When they are cool to the touch slice the shrimp in half and set them to the side.
- 2 large ripe tomatoes
- 2 clove fresh garlic
- 6-8 fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup red onion
- salt & pepper pinch
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ½ tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 oz fresh mozzarella
- Dice the tomatoes, garlic, onion and mozzarella and place in a bowl.
- Stir the mixture.
- Slice the basil and add it to the mixture.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir.
- Set the bowl aside.
- 2 oz olive oil
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp grated parmesan cheese
- 1 oz fresh toasted pine nuts
- salt and pepper
- Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Place in a container.
- Foccica bread
- Thinly slice fresh foccica bread and place on sheet pan
- Drizzle bread with pesto
- Place in a 375* oven until crisp (approximately 3-5 minutes)
- 2 oz aged balsamic vinegar
- 4 oz thick karo syrup
- 6 fresh strawberries
- Slice the strawberries.
- Place all of the ingredients in a thick bottom skillet bring to a boil, remove from heat strain and let cool until ready for use
To Plate the Dish:
Place brushetta mixture in middle of large plate.
Arrange crisp crostini toast around brushetta mixture.
Drizzle with gastrique and serve.
Chef Dan Harri: "This is Bernie Kosars's Steakhouse shrimp brushetta - for a Superbowl Sunday snack."
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Bernie Kosar's Steakhouse
5960 SW 70th Street
South Miami, FL 33143