Wednesday, March 15, 2006
Bite with Belkys: Corned Beef And Cabbage from Clarke's
We're just two days away from St. Patty's day and while you may think the holiday is just for drinking...the Irish also know how to eat. Tonight, the chef at a new South Beach restaurant's showing us how to cook up a traditional corned beef and cabbage. Time to grab a Bite with Belkys.
The Dish: Corned Beef and Cabbage
The Chef: Michael Maher
The Restaurant: Clarke's
- Beef brisket
- 1/4 tsp whole coriander
- 1/4 tsp dill seed
- 1 tbsp dried pepper
- 1/4 tsp whole pepper
- 1/4 tsp whole allspice
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cabbage heads
1. Place beef or pork in water. Add spices and allow to cook for three hours.
2. Peel potatoes and add them to a pot of boiling water. Let it cook 30 - 40 minutes.
3. During the last 30 minutes of the beef cooking add in two chopped cabbage heads for the remaining time.
4. Remove cabbage and potatoes from water and set aside.
5. Remove beef from pot and set aside 15 minutes.
Ingredients: Parsley Sauce
- 1/2 cup of parsley
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1/4 cup corned beef stock
- 1 1/4 cup milk
Chop the parsley and put it in a hot pot. Then in a pan melt butter and combine mix in flour, stock, and milk until it becomes thick. Lastly, add in the parsley and a pinch of pepper.
Slice beef across, add cabbage and potatoes. Pour parsley sauce over corned beef and serve.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
840 1St Street On South Beach