Wednesday, April 19, 2006
Bite with Belkys: Ruby Port Poached Pear with Pecan Mascarpone Cheese Mousse from Hyatt Regency Pier 66
If you don't think fruit can be a delicious dessert, think again. Tonight, a local chef is showing us how to make a tasty treat that's healthy too. Time to Grab A Bite with Belkys.
The Chef: David Hackett
The Restaurant: Hyatt Regency Pier 66
The Dish: Ruby Port Poached Pear with Pecan Mascarpone Cheese Mousse
Ingredients for the Pear:
- 6ea. - Pears neatly peeled
- 16oz. * Ruby Port Wine
- 16oz. - Merlot
- 2 cups * Sugar
- 1ea. * Cinnamon Stick
- 3ea. * Whole Cloves
Method of Preparation (Pear):
- Neatly peel the pears, leaving the stem on.
- In a small sauce pan place the pears, port wine, merlot, sugar, cinnamon and cloves
- Make sure to place a small plate on the top of the pears to
weigh them down so they can evenly poach. Allow them to poach on low heat for 1 hr. or until they are fork tender.
- Remove them from the heat and place the pot with the pears in the refrigerator to cool overnight.
- Once cool remove the pears from the liquid and cut the tops of the pears off and cut the top in half, do not discard. With a melonballer hollow out the pear removing all the seeds. Set the pears aside until the mousse is prepared.
- Place the poaching liquid on the stove and allow it to reduce to a syrup, chill and serve with the pear.
Ingredients for the Mascarpone Cheese Mousse:
- 8oz. * Mascarpone Cheese
- 16oz. * Cream Cheese at Room Temperature 1ea. * Zest of Orange
- 6oz.- Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Cup * Chopped Toasted Pecans
Method of Preparation (Mascarpone Cheese Mousse):
- In a mixing bowl whip the mascarpone cheese and cream cheese together.
- Add the brown sugar and orange zest to the cheeses and whip until well incorporated, make sure to scrap down the sides of the mixing bowl. Fold in the Chopped Toasted Pecans.
- Place the Mousse in a pastry bag and pipe the desired amount in the pear, then place the top of the pear back on.
- Garnish with Orange Segments, Fresh Mint and Sugar Sticks.
Chef David Hackett: "This is the Hyatt Pier 66 Ruby Port Poached Pear...enjoy."
The United Way's Grape Jazzcape takes place tomorrow night at the Hyatt. There are still tickets available.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Hyatt Regency Pier 66
2301 SE 17th Street
Fort Lauderdale, FL
United Way of Broward County's Grape Jazzcapade
Thursday, April 20, 5:30-8pm
At Hyatt Regency Pier 66, Panorama Room
2301 SE 17th Street, Fort Lauderdale, FL
For Tickets Call: 954-462-4850 x115