Wednesday, May 3, 2006
Bite with Belkys: Carne Con Papas or Beef with Potatoes
Who needs a chef when you've got 7news anchors. This month we are the ones doing the cooking on A Bite With Belkys. It's *our* favorite recipes during the month of may. So let's grab A Bite With Belkys.
The Chef: Belkys Nerey
The Dish: Carne Con Papas or Beef with Potatoes
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1 medium sized Onion
- 1 small Green Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Cilantro
- 1 lb. Beef
- 3 medium to large Potatoes
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 can Tomato Paste
- 1 cup Dry Cooking Wine
- Begin by mincing garlic. Then dice the onion, green pepper, and cilantro. Peel the potatoes. Cut the potatoes into two to three inch chunks.
- Next, add olive oil to a pressure cooker or if you don't have one into a pot over medium high heat.
- Put the onions, garlic, green pepper, cilantro and salt and pepper to taste in and mix this altogether... this is called a sofrito, the jam that gives the food it's flavor.
- Next, add a can of tomato paste and stir. Then add 1/4 cup of white wine.
- Now add the beef chunks and stir. Finally add the potatoes, and the rest of the wine so the liquid covers everything in the pot.
- If you're cooking in a pressure cooker, then let this cook for 20 minutes... if you don't, cook covered in a pot over low heat until the potatoes are soft and the meat gets tender.
- To plate the dish, begin with the meat, garnish with a little parsley, and serve it with some white rice.
If you don't have a pressure cooker you could follow the same steps and just use a regular pot, but cook it covered over low heat until the potatoes are soft and the meat gets tender.
Belkys Nerey: "And tune in next week when I cook along with our resident take out expert, Craig Stevens. He'll attempt to whip up his favorite recipe."