Wednesday, May 10, 2006
Bite with Belkys: Gourmet Mushroom Risotto by Craig Stevens
They're a great team out here on the set. But they make a pretty good team in the kitchen too. All this month, members of the Seven News Team are joining Belkys in the kitchen. Tonight, it's Craig Stevens' turn to Grab A Bite With Belkys.
The Chef: Craig Stevens
The Dish: Gourmet Mushroom Risotto
- 6 cups chicken brother, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 pound white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, diced
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a saucepan, warm the broth over low heat.
- Warm 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in the mushrooms, and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Remove mushrooms and their liquid, and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to skillet, and stir in the shallots. Cook 1 minute.
- Add rice, stirring to coat with oil, about 2 minutes.
- When the rice has taken on a pale, golden color, pour in wine, stirring constantly until the wine is fully absorbed.
- Add 1/2 cup broth to the rice, and stir until the broth is absorbed. Continue adding 1/2 cup at a time, stirring continuously, until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is al dente, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and stir in mushrooms with their liquid, butter, chives and parmesan. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Craig Stevens: "I gotta say it's pretty good and I'm not just saying that because I made it."
Belkys Nerey: "I'm so proud."
Craig Stevens: "See, there's hope for me yet."
Belkys Nerey: "Next week, I'll be baking Tom Haynes' meatballs. He's made them before and they are dee-lish."