Wednesday, July 19, 2006
Bite with Belkys: Macaroni & Cheese from The Forge
Boxed macaroni and cheese may be a staple in your home. But tonight, we're making this american classic from scratch. Time to Grab a Bite with Belkys.
The Chef: Andrew Swersky
The Restaurant: The Forge
The Dish: Macaroni & Cheese
2 pints of milk
2 pints of cream
2 cloves of garlic
2 pinches of nutmeg
1/2 onion (diced and sauteed)
1/8 cup white vinegar
1/2 jalapeno (finely diced)
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
2 cups macaroni (cooked and drained)
2 tbsp. Sour cream
Salt (to taste)
Pepper (to taste)
Rue (to thicken sauce):
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
Method of Preparation:
1. Cook macaroni until al dente. Drain and set aside.
2. Have 2 pots available, one for the sauce and one for the rue. Also have a pan available.
3. In one pot, mix milk, cream, garlic and nutmeg. Cook until mixture comes to a light boil.
4. Into another pot, mix the butter and flour together for the rue (thickening agent). cook for about 5 minutes, or until lightly browned.
5. In a pan, saute the onion and jalapeno in butter.
6. Add cream mixture into the rue and stir with a wire whisk. If it is too thick, add more milk until desired consistency.
Cook 4-5 minutes on medium heat.
7. Add jalapeno and onion mxture to sauce, cook and whisk 4-5 minutes on low heat.
8. Add white vinegar, grated cheddar cheese and a dash of salt and pepper.
9. If sauce is too thick, add milk.
10. Mix in sour cream for a creamier texture.
11. Add the cooked and drained macaroni to sauce.
12. Portion into crocks and cover with cheese.
13. Broil for about 5 minutes or till cheese is melted.
Chef Andrew suggests serving this dish with a bottle of Perrier Jouet champagne or milk for the kiddies.
And here we are -- macaroni and cheese served at The Forge on Sunday at Soul Kitchen. Voila!
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
432 41st St.
Miami Beach, FL 33140