Wednesday, October 4, 2006
Bite with Belkys: Catalonian Paella from Linda Gassenheimer's new book, "Prevention's Fit and Fast Meals in Minutes"
Everbody knows it's hard to make a meal that tastes good and is good for you. But tonight we found authentic spanish cuisine with a healthy twist. Time to Grab a Bite with Belkys.
The Chef: Linda Gassenheimer
The Dish: Catalonian Paella
From her new book: Prevention's Fit and Fast Meals in Minutes
- Olive oil spray
- 1/4 pound diced, chorizo sausage (about 1 cup)
- 3 cups diced, frozen onion
- 6 medium garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 cups clam juice
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 1 cup orzo
- 1/2 pound zucchini
- 1 1/2 cups drained, canned pimentos, sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen petite peas
- 2 pounds peeled shrimp
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Method of Preparation:
- Turn stove to medium-heat
- Spray paella pan or large skillet with olive oil spray.
- Add chorizo sausage and onion, let saute 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute 1 minute.
- Add the clam juice, white wine and saffron.
- Bring to a rapid boil.
- Stir in orzo and bring to a boil and let cook for 8 minutes, turning down the heat to medium. (If not using a nonstick pan, stir often to keep orzo from sticking)
- If pan becomes dry, add a little water.
- Add zucchini and pimento.
- Cook 3 minutes.
- Add the peas, and shrimp.
- Cook 2 minutes.
- Turn shrimp making sure all sides are cooked. The shrimp should be pink when cooked all the way through.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Belkys Nerey: "Chef Linda will be signing copies of her new book at the Miami International Book Fair, which runs from November 12th through the 19th in downtown Miami."
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Miami International Book Fair (November 12 - 19):
Linda Gassenheimer's Website: