Wednesday, October 18, 2006
Bite with Belkys: Mint Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookie Chunk Souffle from Prezzo Restaurant & Martini Bar
It's the most delicious meal of the day. If you have a sweet tooth, fancy desserts don't have to be difficult. Tonight, we found a French favorite that will have your whole family saying bon apetite. Time to Grab A Bite With Belkys.
The Chef: Kal Abdalla
The Restaurant: Prezzo Restaurant & Martini Bar
The Dish: Mint Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookie Chunk Souffle
- ¾ cup flour
- ¼ clarified cup butter
- 2 cups milk
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 6 egg yokes
- 6 egg whites
- 4 ounces Crème De Mint
- ¼ cup powdered sugar for egg whites
- 1 cup chocolate chip cookies
- ½ cup granulated sugar for coating soufflé dishes
Method of Preparation:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray 6, 8-ounce soufflé dishes and dust with granulated sugar. Tilt the mold in all directions to spread the sugar evenly, then invert the mold and tap out the excess sugar. When properly coated, the souffle will rise tall, straight and even, and it will emerge from the oven with a delightfully crunchy and lightly caramelized crust.
- In a heavy bottom saucepan, over medium heat melt ¼ cup butter. Whisk in ¾ cup of flour, stirring constantly for 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside.
- In a separate pan bring 2 cups of milk to a boil. Over medium heat add the milk to the flour and butter mixture and stir vigorously until slightly thickened. Set aside and allow cooling. Then add to mixture, stirring constantly, ½ cup sugar and egg yolks (one at a time). Continue stirring and add ½ cup powdered sugar and mint liquor, mix well. Add chopped cookies and mix lightly.
- In a separate bowl, whip egg whites at high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add ¼-powdered sugar and whip until stiff. Be careful not to over whip. Add the egg white to the souffle mixture and fold gently.
- Fill soufflé cups to the rim with mixture. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. While soufflé is baking make the sauce.
Ingredients - Sauce for Souffle:
- 7 oz. best quality bitter cooking chocolate
- 5 oz. milk
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
- 1 oz. sugar
- 1 oz. butter
Method of Preparation for Souffle Sauce:
- Melt chocolate over medium heat, double boiler recommended.
- In a separate saucepan, bring milk, heavy cream and sugar to a boil, stirring gently with a whisk. Pour the mixture onto the melted chocolate, stirring continuously. Return the sauce to the pan, and let it bubble for 15 seconds.
- Remove from heat, beat in the butter, a little at a time, until the sauce is smooth. Serve warm.
Serving Suggestion: Muscat (or your favorite dessert wine)
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Prezzo Restaurant & Martini Bar
At Loehmann's Fashion Island
18831 Biscayne Blvd.
Aventura, FL 33180