Wednesday, November 8, 2006
Bite with Belkys: Thanksgiving Turkey and Gravy
All this month, we are sharing Thanksgiving recipes. Tonight, we're talking about the most important part of the meal -- the turkey. If your family complains the bird's too dry, we found an easy way to make it moist and juicy. Time to Grab A Bite with Belkys.
The Chef: Rusty Johnson
The Dish: Thanksgiving Turkey
Ingredients for the Turkey Brine:
- 2 gallons of water
- 2 cups kosher salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 6 fl. oz. of crab and shrimp boil
Directions for the Turkey Brine:
- In a large pot, boil one gallon water
- Add the sugar and salt, stirring till they dissolve
- Turn off the heat and add the second gallon of water
- Stir in the crab and shrimp boil
- When the brine is room temperature, add the turkey and soak overnight (8 hours).
Ingredients for the Turkey Gravy:
- pan drippings
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons of flour
- salt and pepper
- additional chicken stock if desired
Directions for the Turkey Gravy:
- Heat the drippings on high (you may use the same pan you cooked the turkey in to heat the gravy)
- In a small bowl, stir in the cup of chicken stock and flour
- When the drippings have come to a boil, pour in some of the chicken stock and flour mix and whisk until thick and smooth.
- If gravy is too thick, add more stock, if it is too thin add more flour.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Don't forget to serve it with those yummy Thanksgiving side dishes.
FOR MORE INFORMATION: