Wednesday, November 15, 2006
Bite with Belkys: Pumpkin Shortcake from Ice Box Cafe
As we prepare for Thanksgiving, you can't have a dinner without dessert. Tonight, we have a different kind of pumpkin pie. Time to Grab A Bite with Belkys.
The Chef: Robert Siegmann
The Dish: Pumpkin Shortcake
The Restaurant: Ice Box Cafe
Ingredients for Pumpkin Shortcake:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
Preparation for Pumpkin Shortcake:
- Combine sugar, vegetable oil and eggs in a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Sift dry ingredients into a separate bowl and stir into oil mixture, beating well. Then stir in pumpkin puree.
- Pour batter into two greased and floured 8-inch round cake pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Turn out onto racks to cool.
- Cover each layer with butterscotch and finish frosting with whipped cream
- 2 oz. butter
- 4 oz. brown sugar
- ½ cup heavy cream
Preparation for Butterscotch:
- Combine all ingredients in a non-reactive pan.
- Place over medium heat and bring to boil.
- Continue to boil until all sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from heat and empty out into plastic container. Allow butterscotch to cool before using it.
To Assemble Shortcake:
Level off a layer of the pumpkin cake using a serrated knife. Cover with caramel and then with whipped cream. Repeat this process with second layer. Allow layers to sit for up to one hour in the refrigerator before stacking.
Belkys Nerey: "At Ice Box Cafe they make the butterscotch topping from scratch -- but you can just use the ready made kind they sell at the market. Chef Robert says you can also substitute with honey, cranberry sauce or even dulce de leche."
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Ice Box Cafe
1657 Michigan Avenue
Miami Beach, FL 33139