Wednesday, January 3, 2007
Bite with Belkys: Salmon with Two Bean Toss from Hi-Life Cafe
If your New Year's Resolution is to lose weight, then you're in luck. A local chef is showing us how to cook up a main meal that won't break your calorie count. Time to grab A Bite With Belkys.
The Chef: Carlos Fernandez
The Restaurant: Hi-Life Cafe
The Dish: Salmon with Two-Bean Toss
Ingredients and Directions for the Salmon:
- In a saute pan heat 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil and 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- Sear salmon for 2 minutes on each side and finish in a 350 degree oven for 7 minutes.
Ingredients and Directions for the Beans:
- 16 oz. black beans
- 16 oz. cannellini beans
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms (sliced & sauteed)
- salt & pepper
- 2 carrots (grated)
- Toss all together and reserve
Ingredients and Directions for the Squirt Basil oil:
- Blend 1 cup blanched basil with 1 cup extra virgin olive oil and 1 tbsp. of lemon. Strain and reserve in a squeeze bottle.
Ingredients for the Horseradish Cream:
- 1 cup mango (pitted and chopped)
- 2 cups mango nectar
- Place in sauté pan and reduce until au sec.
- Put mixture in blender and add 2 tbsp. horseradish, salt and white pepper to taste.
- Serve with any flaky white fish.
To Plate the dish:
- Toss basil oil and bean mixture. Place on center of plate. Top with grilled fish. Drizzle fish with Mango Horseradish Cream.
Serving Suggestion: Pinot Noir
Belkys Nerey: "If Chef Carlos looks familiar to you, it's because he was recently on Bravo's "Top Chef" series."
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
3000 N. Federal Highway #12
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33306