Wednesday, June 20, 2007
Bite with Belkys: Flourless Chocolate Torte
We all love Chocolate, but not the extra calories and tonight, one chef is going to show us how to whip up a perfect sinful combination. Time to grab a Bite with Belkys.
The Chef: Youseff Hammi
The Dish: A flour-less Chocolate Torte.
The Restaurant: Himmarshee Bar and Grille in downtown Fort Lauderdale.
1 tablespoon of raspberry liquor
1 shot of Espresso
1 tablespoon of dark chocolate liquor
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
2 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter
16 ounces of bittersweet chocolate chips
8 egg yolks
3 egg whites
1 cup of sugar
Method of Preparation:
- Start by pouring raspberry liquor, shot of espresso, chocolate liquor, vanilla extract and unsalted butter in a hot pan. Use a whisk to make sure the butter blends in well.
- Next, mix in some bitter sweet chocolate chips.
- Then, separate the yolks from the whites from 3 eggs.
- Pour the egg whites into an electric mixer and add some sugar to make meringue.
- Now, in a separate bowl add the egg yolks and add more sugar, mix it together, pour in the melted chocolate mixture, and mix.
- Now, fold in the meringue.
- Next, coat a spring form pan with a non-stick spray,
- Cover it with parchment paper, spray it again, and coat the pan with cocoa powder.
- Pour in the batter, and place it in a 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes.
To Plate the Dish:
- Finally, release the torte, and flip it onto a serving plate,
- Chef Hammi likes to decorate the torte with powdered sugar, strawberries, and raspberries. Then, garnishes each slice with yogurt, ice cream and a sprig of mint.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Himmarshee Bar & Grille
210 SW 2nd Street
Downtown Ft. Lauderdale, FL