Wednesday, August 18, 2010
Bite with Belkys: Quinoa and Mango Salad
Summer time is sizzling hot, so we're going to cool it down with the perfect summer salad. We're heading to Miami's Design District. Time to grab a Bite with Belkys.
The Chef: Riccardo Tognozzi
The Restaurant: Mai Tardi Restaurant in Miami's Design District
The Dish: Quinoa and mango salad
Ingredients for dressing:
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup fresh orange juice
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1/8 oz. fresh basil chopped
0.5 oz red onion chopped
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
oregano to taste
black pepper to taste
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Ingredients for salad:
Red and white quinoa grains
Directions for dressing:
- Place all ingredients but the oils in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk in the extra virgin oil slowly to avoid vinaigrette breaking.
Method of preparation:
- In a medium sized saucepan, melt butter on stovetop. Add quinoa, stirring frequently while it toasts in the bottom of the pot.
- Once you can smell the toasted quinoa, add water and unrefined sea salt. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Once boiled turn down to a simmer. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. When all the water has been absorbed remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Cut in half the cherry tomatoes, place on sheet pan, sprinkle with sea salt, extra virgin olive oil and black pepper (can add rosemary). Place in oven at 320 degrees until half the original size, set aside to cool.
To plate the dish:
Place arugula leaves side by side, add the quinoa mixture the mango slices and top off the salad with toasted almonds.
Serve with a chilled Pinot Grigio.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
163 NE 39th St
Miami, FL 33137