Wednesday, September 8, 2010
Bite with Belkys: Tuna taco and mushroom & goat cheese croquette
One of Miami's hottest tapas restaurants is sharing two of their top recipes. We're heading to Wynwood to grab a Bite with Belkys.
The Chef: Guily Booth
The Restaurant: Cafeina in Wynwood
The Dishes: Tuna taco and mushroom and goat cheese croquette
Ingredients for Tuna Taco:
3 oz. sushi grade tuna (saku block yellow fin tuna)
1 oz. carrots (julienne)
1 oz. cucumber (julienne)
2 slices fresh avocado
2 tbs. pomegranate mayo
A pinch of chopped cilantro
1 10-inch flour tortilla
Method of Preparation:
- First, julienne the carrots and cucumber into long thing strips. Then, chop the cilantro and slice the avocado.
- Now, put two tablespoons of olive oil in a pan on high heat. Cut the tuna fillet into three long pieces and place in the pan. Sear all 4 sides about 10 seconds each. Take the the tuna out of the pan and set aside.
- Warm the flour tortilla in a pan or directly on stovetop's gas flame.
- Now, it's time to put it all together. Spread pomegranate mayo on the tortilla. Add the pieces of tuna, avocado, cilantro, carrots and cucumber and roll into a tight wrap, folding in the edges. Cut diagonally into 4 pieces.
Pomegranate Mayo Sauce:
- Heat 1/2 gallon concentrated pomegranate juice and let it reduce on low heat for 3 to 4 hours until it becomes thick.
- In a mixing bowl, stir 2 tablespoons of standard mayonnaise with 8 ounces of pomegranate reduction.
Serve sliced tuna tacos over balsamic reduction and garnish with bean sprouts.
Ingredients for mushroom and goat cheese croquette:
4 oz. assorted wild mushrooms chopped
8 oz. chevre goat cheese
1/2 oz. basil (cut into thin strips)
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
1 cup panko japanese bread crumbs
Salt and pepper to taste
3 eggs (beaten)
Method of Preparation:
- Dice mushrooms and place in a very hot pan with garlic and a little oil. Cook for at lease 10 minutes or until mushrooms become golden and crunchy. Remove from pan and let them cool.
- Work the goat cheese with your hands until soft, then add the mushroom mixture along with a little salt and pepper and blend together.
- In three separate bowls put: One cup of all purpose flour, 3 beaten eggs and one cup of panko (japanese bread crumbs).
- Now take a very small scoop of the cheese mixture and roll between the palms of your hands, make little balls.
- Take each ball and cover first with flour, then dip in the eggs. Finally, cover each ball well with the panko bread crumbs.
- Let the goat cheese balls rest for a few minutes, then drop them in a deep fryer for 40 seconds.
- If you don't have a deep fryer, heat oil in a pan on high. Make sure it's at least an inch deep in the pan to cover the balls. Put the balls in and cook for a minute or two until golden.
Serve over a bed of lettuce and with sweet guava sauce for dipping.
Serve with Cafeina's hot passion cocktail
Each tapa serves two.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
297 Northwest 23rd St.
Miami Fl 33127