Tuesday, November 8, 2011
Bite with Belkys: Sea Scallops with Sweet Potato Mash from The Whale Raw Bar
Customers are raving about a new restaurant in parkland. Tonight, its chef shows us how to make one of his favorite seafood dishes. Time to grab a Bite with Belkys.
The Chef: Victor Franco
The Restaurant: The Whale Raw Bar
The Dish: Bahamian Sea Scallops with Sweet Potato Mash
4 u-10 sea scallops
1/4 red onion, sliced
3 Tbs. of white wine
3 Tbs. of dark rum
juice of 1/2 a lime
1 vanilla bean
1 cup and 1 Tbs. of brown sugar
1 cup of heavy cream
8 Tbs. of butter
3 sweet potatoes
1 Tbs. of ground cinnamon
1 tsp. of honey
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
3 Tbs. of blackening spice
2 Tbs. of vegetable oil
Method of Preparation:
- Begin by making a vanilla-rum sauce. In a hot pan, add red onion, white wine, rum, lime juice, vanilla bean and brown sugar. Let this reduce.
- Then, add heavy cream and butter and mix it all together. Make sure to strain the sauce and set it to the side. Chef Victor says to keep the sauce at room temperature.
- Next, move on the sweet potato mash. First, boil the sweet potatoes and then transfer them to a mixing bowl.
- Add ground cinnamon, one cup of brown sugar, honey and four tablespoons of butter. Whisk this all together and season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Now, rub the scallops with a blackening spice and a little salt and pepper.
- Then, sear the scallops in a hot pan with vegetable oil. Chef Victor recommends medium rare to medium.
First, serve the sweet potato mash. Then, at the restaurant they add sautéed spinach, the scallops and the vanilla-rum sauce. You can garnish with scallion.
Serving Suggestion: Sauvignon Blanc
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Take a printed copy of the recipe and receive a complimentary cocktail with the purchase of an entree. Valid for one month from the air date. (one per person)
Whale Raw Bar
7619 North State Road 7
Parkland, FL 33073