Thursday, October 3, 2013
Bite with Belkys: Aloo Chole
The rich robust flavors of India are at your fingertips tonight. We're learning how to make a traditional dish that's healthy and delicious in tonight's Bite with Belkys.
The Restaurant: A Passage to India
An Authentic Indian Pop Up Restaurant inside the Ritz-Carlton, Coconut Grove
The Dish: Aloo Chole (Potato Chick Peas in Gravy)
1 large bag dry Chick Peas (or 3 cans)
4 Idaho Potatoes
2 cups yogurt (plain)
1/4 cup tamarind juice (optional)
1 Tsp. Garam Masala
2 bay leaves
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 Tbs. lemon or lime juice
2 white onions, minced
2 tomatoes, finely chopped
1/2 cup ginger garlic paste
1 tbs. cumin
1 tbs. chili powder
1 Tbs. Chana Masala
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
salt and pepper to taste
Method of Preparation:
- Bring potatoes and chick peas to boil in two separate pots of water. Also add salt, pepper and turmeric to each pot for extra flavor. (If using dry chick peas, soak overnight or for 5-6 hours before cooking.)
- Drain peas and cut cooked potatoes into even chunks and then add olive oil to a deep pan and get it hot. Add bay leaves, chopped onions and ginger garlic paste. Sauté on medium heat until it begins to brown.
- Now, add tomatoes and stir. Add garam masala, cumin, chili powder and yogurt, stir well and add water if the sauce is too thick. Now, add Chana Masala.
- When it bubbles, add the potatoes and chick peas and stir well. Add lime juice and chopped cilantro, stir and cook for another minute or so.
- Take out the bay leaves, and it's ready to plate.
Garnish with more chopped cilantro and serve.
Serving suggestion: Mango Lassi
A Passage to India Pop Up Restaurant
Ritz-Carlton, Coconut Grove
3300 SW 27th Ave.
Miami, FL 33133
Phone: (305) 644-4680