Thursday, October 24, 2013
Bite with Belkys: Cap'n Crunch Pancakes
A South Florida chef is combing two breakfast favorites into one delicious meal. The dish: Cap'n Crunch pancakes. Time to grab a Bite with Belkys.
The Restaurant: Eating House in Coral Gables
The Dish: Cap'n Crunch Pancakes
1 cup All-Purpose flour
1/2 cup Cap'n Crunch Cereal
1 1/2 Tbs. sugar
1 Tbs. baking powder
1 Tsp. salt
1 1/2 eggs, lightly whisked
1 1/4 cups milk
6 Tbs. melted butter
2 Tbs. powdered sugar
Condensed Milk Syrup:
1 cup condensed milk
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 pinch salt
1 stick butter
1/2 Tsp. vanilla bean or 1 Tsp. vanilla extract
Method of Preparation:
- Place Cap'n Crunch Cereal in a food processor and pulse until it's finely ground.
Mix the milled cereal with all-purpose flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Next, beat eggs and add whole milk, melted butter and vanilla extract. Mix Well. Now mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. The cereal will expand a bit, but if it's too thick, just add a little more milk.
- Grease the griddle and pour on the batter. Cook on medium heat for about 4 minutes on each side, until golden brown and springy to the touch.
- For the syrup, add a pinch of salt to condensed milk and heavy cream. Mix until you get a nice syrupy consistency.
- To make the vanilla butter, add vanilla bean or vanilla extract to one stick of butter. Whip until well mixed.
Top pancakes with a spoonful of vanilla butter, a scoop of whole Cap'n Crunch Cereal, powdered sugar and condensed milk syrup.
Serving suggestion: Tang Mimosa
804 Ponce De Leon Blvd.
Coral Gables, Fl 33134