Wednesday, July 13, 2005
Bite with Belkys: Sirloin Steak With Tomato Fennel And Chimichurri Sauce From OLA Steakhouse
It could make your cut of beef a *cut* above the rest.The recipe for a special steak as we grab a Bite with Belkys.
The Chef: Douglas Rodriguez
The Restaurant: OLA Steakhouse
The Dish: Sirloin Steak with tomato fennel and Chimichurri Sauce
- 1 21-day old USDA sirloin steak
-Season the steak with salt on both sides.
-Place the meat on a high heat grill for about 5 minutes on each side, and make sure that the marks are caramelized.
Tomato Fennel Sauce
- 8 ripe plum tomatoes
- 2 diced red onions
- 1 cup finely diced fennel
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 fresh julienned basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup aged red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
-Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Cut the tomatoes in half lengthwise and place on a wire rack sitting on a sheet pan. Sprinkle with a little salt and place them cut side down in the warm oven overnight.
-The tomatoes should shrink and wrinkle and have the texture of dried prunes. This step can be done well in advance. Store the dried tomatoes in resealable bags or in glass jars covered in olive oil.
-To make the salsa, dice the oven-dried tomatoes and toss with the fennel, onions, garlic, basil, oregano, red pepper flakes, olive oil, vinegar and pine nuts on a bowl and mix until all the ingredients are blended.
-Serve at room temperature and refrigerate leftovers.
- 6 cloves garlic
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 chopped jalapeno chiles
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup minced fresh oregano leaves
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
-Mash the garlic, bay leaves, jalapenos and salt with a mortar and pestle until a smooth paste is formed (you can puree with a small amount of vinegar in a blender)
-Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the herbs. Whisk in the vinegar and olive oil until well mixed and set aside.
-Serve the beef with the chimichurri on top and ladle some tomato fennel sauce on top of the steak.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
320 San Lorenzo
Coral Gables, FL