Wednesday, July 7, 2004
Protecting Your Pet: Toxic Toads
Today's protecting your pet is about one of the gravest dangers dogs in South Florida face. Toxic toads run rampant - especially during the rainy season. And unless you act fast your best buddy can die within minutes. Health Specialist Marilyn Mitzel shows us how to keep them safe.
(WSVN) -- Kiss a frog and he becomes a prince.
A lovely fairy tale....
In real life -- if your pooch does it - there may not be a happy ending.
Dr. Steven Paul, Wiles Road Animal Hospital: "That little toad can pack a wallop of a punch."
Bufo toads kill hundreds of pets every year.
Dr. Steven Paul, Wiles Road Animal Hospital: "Parker was salivating excessively and he acted demented."
Doc's Golden Retriever recently had a close call.
These toads excret a white venom when their scared.
It got in Parker's mouth.
Dr. Steven Paul, Wiles Road Animal Hospital: "The dog can actually fall over and go into convulsions -- that's when death can occur."
They can die within half an hour.
Vets have lifesaving medication but usually you don't have enough time to get it.
So you've got to take immediate action.
Dr. Steven Paul, Wiles Road Animal Hospital: "Any toxin you can get out of you're pet's mouth may be the difference between life and death."
Take your basic rag, wash it down. Cold water is best because it breaks up the salvia pretty good. Open up the mouth. Clean it out as much as you can.
To protect your pet - keep their food inside - it attracts bufos.
Check for toads before letting animals outside.
If they chase them - walk'em on a leash.
Don't ever leave them out alone.
The moral of the story.
Dr. Steven Paul, Wiles Road Animal Hospital: "He recovered probably within 10 -15 minutes that's because we acted quickly."
And they lived happily ever after.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Dr. Steven Paul
Wiles Road Animal Hospital