Most allowed back home after Molotov attack on apt.
COCONUT GROVE, Fla. (WSVN) -- Most of the residents of an apartment building where a Molotov cocktail went off have been allowed back into their homes.
Dozens of people had been forced out of their homes Sunday morning, as police investigated the arson attack on a disabled man living in a unit at the building on Grand Avenue. Everyone had made it out safe.
About 100 people were told to stay out of their homes as a precaution, and by Monday morning, all but the family in the burned unit had been allowed back in after building investigators determined the other homes safe. The unit where the Molotov cocktail exploded, however, cannot be occupied.
The Red Cross is helping the victim, Dominique Hunt, and his family with a hotel room for a few days, as they look for another place to live.
City of Miami Police arrested 38-year-old Oscar Cairo for arson soon after the attack. According to witnesses, he and Hunt were arguing in the streets before Cairo allegedly hurled a Molotov cocktail through a window in the victim's apartment. "I just seen him lighting it," said Hunt. "When he lit it, it was like he threw a ball of fire through my window."
The victim said Cairo threw the Molotov cocktail after they had argued over $5 Cairo had owed him. "We had gotten into an altercation over some money he owed me," he said.
In the apartment with Hunt were his sister and her 3-year-old son and 5-year-old daughter. "I was panicking," said the sister, Telisa Hunt.
Besides arson, Cairo faces four counts of attempted felony murder, aggravated battery and throwing a deadly missile. "The device that was thrown into this unit is considered a bomb," said Miami Fire Rescue Lt. Ignatius Carrol. "A Molotov cocktail is something that you throw, and on impact, it blows."
In court Monday morning, a judge set Cairo's bond to $50,000.
(Copyright 2011 by Sunbeam Television Corp. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)