Beachgoer OK after being bitten in water
MIAMI (WSVN) -- A beachgoer is out of the hospital after he suffered what doctors believe was a shark bite.
The beachgoer said he was in the ocean, in the area of 22nd Street and Collins Avenue, over the weekend, with his wife and young daughter when he felt a stinging sensation on his right calf. Some other beachgoers made a makeshift tourniquet and wrapped it around his leg and then pulled his leg above his heart.
Jackson Memorial Hospital surgeon Dr. Howard Lieberman said after rescuers transported the beachgoer to the Ryder Trauma Center they worked quickly to stitch him up. "He came in, he was in shock. He was tachycardic and hypotensive. He had an obvious open wound to his lower extremity, and he was bleeding profusely from it. While in the trauma bay, we found the two ends of the blood vessels and basically just clamped them off."
Doctors said the beachgoer lost a lot of blood but is expected to make a full recovery, and he checked out of the hospital late Tuesday afternoon.
(Copyright 2012 by Sunbeam Television Corp. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)