Family burned out of home on Thanksgiving Day
MIAMI (WSVN) -- A South Florida family is homeless after flames ripped through their home on Thanksgiving Day.
The fire sparked Thursday at about 3 p.m. in their backyard along Northwest 12th Street and 19th Avenue. "We do understand that they were making Thanksgiving dinner, when this fire took place and nobody inside the house was injured at the time," said Miami Fire Rescue Lieutenant Ignatius Carroll.
Fire Rescue investigators said Miami Police were the first to arrive on scene after seeing smoke. "When they arrived, they found out that most of the people were out but somebody kept yelling there was possibly a child was inside," said Carroll. "They made an attempt to get inside by kicking in the door but they were met by heavy smoke and it pushed them back out."
Luckily no child was found inside and the seven people who lived there were found safe. The family stayed after the fire was extinguished to pick up their remains. "The work that the firemen and the police did, was very well, very well, very well," said Armando Tomas De Castro.
Fire investigators have deemed the home a total loss.
The American Red Cross is now assisting the family.
(Copyright 2012 by Sunbeam Television Corp. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)