Explosion in bakery blows out window
HALLANDALE BEACH, Fla. (WSVN) -- An explosion in a kitchen sent workers running for cover and sparked an explosion that left a building damaged.
Late Monday afternoon, the cleanup continues at the Chef of Distinction catering business where the explosion originated at around 11 a.m. Chef Judith Able said she was inside cooking when, all of a sudden, her torch caught fire. "I was using the butane can for crème brûlée, and it just started flaming."
She said as soon as the torch caught fire she ran out of the business, fearing she would be burned. "I just had to leave," Able said. "I mean, I ran out through the back door, thank God."
The force of the explosion blew out mirrors and knocked over furniture at a neighboring barber shop. Karina Bramer works at the salon. "We just heard a big explosion," she said. "We thought a car came through the building. I had a customer at the same time. Everybody was shaking. All the employees came out."
Bramer said, when they all got out of the building they noticed the catering business' window blown off its frame. "Then, when we came out, we saw the whole window came out the building," she said.
The good news is the building was still structurally sound and no one was hurt. Able said she hopes to go back to work in a few days. "A little bit shaken up of course," Able said. "It'll be fine in a couple of days."
(Copyright 2012 by Sunbeam Television Corp. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)