Broward County Courthouse reopens after gas leak
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (WSVN) -- The Broward County Courthouse is back to business after a gas leak forced an evacuation of the entire building.
Officials said construction crews using a backhoe accidentally broke a 4-inch gas line, Wednesday morning. "The fact that there were gas smells in the building, I decided that the building needs to be shut down for the safety of everyone," said Judge Peter Weinstein.
Hundreds of people were hanging out in the streets of Downtown Fort Lauderdale for about two hours as the problem was being fixed. Also, the Broward County Jail did not allow inmates to be booked for a brief time.
Three employees at the jail were taken to a local hospital complaining of nausea.
Firefighters went floor by floor checking the levels inside the courthouse, and they deemed the building safe and allowed people back in just before noon.
(Copyright 2012 by Sunbeam Television Corp. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)