Family receives help after home fire
FLORIDA CITY, Fla. (WSVN) -- Things are looking up for the families who lost all their belongings after a kitchen fire left them homeless for the holidays.
Most of the families possessions were rendered unrecognizable after one resident left the stove on in the kitchen. The fire spread throughout the Florida City duplex in matter of seconds.
Despite the heartbreak, they are counting their blessings, thanks to some generous gifts.
Miami-Dade Fire Rescue employee Karen Joseph said, "For the past several years I've been doing this for my department, giving toys to the families who are in need. Especially for those who have lost everything in a fire. You know, losing your stuff to a fire is even worse this time of the year."
The kitchen fire ripped through the entire house, leaving only the Christmas tree untouched. But, with the help of others, these children will get to experience a real Christmas miracle.
Siara Smith said, "Oh, my God, my baby was so happy. I was so happy. When she opened the door to that truck they were like 'Oh, my God! A baby, oh, my God, a car!' and she gave it to them, so they were just grateful." Smith added, "No, they are not gonna wake up sad. They're going to be happy and hyper bouncing all over the wall."
This Christmas, Santa looked a little different. Joseph said, "That's priceless. There are no words that could explain that feeling of when you come out and you are able help families in time of need. Especially in times like these."
More people showed up throughout the day. One person even wrote a check for $1200. Others have reached out to help the families find new homes. The landlord has also been helping them find a place to stay for the time being. The families said they are grateful for all the help the community has offered.
(Copyright 2012 by Sunbeam Television Corp. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)