Family loses everything days before Christmas
SOUTHWEST MIAMI-DADE, Fla. (WSVN) -- A South Florida family was burnt out of their home for the holidays. Flames ripped through their home scorching everything in sight.
"I don't care about the material things," said Cubita Rodriguez. "I've got my kids and my wife and that's all that matters. That's what counts you know?"
Cubita Rodriguez has his family to hug but not much else. "I heard my son screaming," said Rodriguez, "'fire, fire, fire,' I blinked and then everything was gone."
The screams from his 13-year-old son and 7-year-old daughter woke Rodriguez up on Sunday morning from a nap. He was able to get them out safe. He then burned his back as he went back inside the home on Southwest 184th Street to save four of the family's five dogs.
But what Rodriguez couldn't save was the home. It's a total loss. His wife was at work when the fire occurred. "We lost everything," said Amayra Rodriguez. "We don't have clothes, nothing. We don't have nothing."
Along with their possessions, the fire also took the family's Christmas. The Rodriguez's had just finished their holiday shopping this weekend. "I need everything," said Rodriguez. "I'm like a newborn right now man. The only difference is that I can walk."
But in this season, the family said the fire has taught them a lesson. It's not what they have, but who they have. "I don't care," said Rodriguez with tears in his eyes. "I'll be in a shelter with my family. I don't care. As long as I'm with my family we'll be alright."
The family is staying with family Sunday night. The Red Cross was at the scene of the fire Sunday and is assisting them.
The fire is believed to have been sparked by the family's clothes dryer.
The community is holding a donation drive for the family on Monday at 9 a.m. at Gladeview Christian Church at12201 SW 26th St. The family needs clothing, food and toys.
(Copyright 2012 by Sunbeam Television Corp. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)