Teen bitten by venomous snake
HOLLYWOOD, Fla. (WSVN) -- A teenager had to be hospitalized after he was bitten by a venomous snake, Friday afternoon.
The 16-year-old was transported to Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital after a water moccasin bit him while he was walking home from Everglades High School.
According to paramedics, the teenage boy was walking along Southwest 172nd Avenue with his shirt slung over his shoulder. When it dropped and he reached down to pick it up, the snake struck.
According to the victim's classmates, at first he appeared fine, but his hand soon became engulfed in excruciating pain. "The longer a snake bite goes untreated, the worse it is, said Miami-Dade Fire Rescue's Lieutenant Lisa Wood.
The student called 911, and medics rushed him to the hospital. Wood confirmed that the bite was not very serious. "He should make a very quick and full recovery," she said.
The venom from this snake can leave swelling around the bite wound, cause slurred speech and blurred vision. If enough venom is transmitted, it could even paralyze the limb where the snake strikes. If first responders had not acted so quickly, the teen's hand could have been paralyzed permanently.
The teen will spend the night in the hospital, but doctors said he should be able to go home this weekend.
(Copyright 2013 by Sunbeam Television Corp. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)