Generous animal hospital saves cat's life
CORAL SPRINGS, Fla. (WSVN) -- A cat in terrible pain caught the attention of vets in South Florida who volunteered to provide some much-needed aid to the cat's owners, who were desperate for help.
Kimmy the cat was bitten in the face by a dog and taken to the only vet who would help him. His arrived with his left eye protruding from his eye socket. "This is as bad as it gets right there," said Dr. Bruce Sullivan.
Kimmy's owner tried desperately to get help, but she had lost her job, and vets wanted $600 upfront. "I went to several vets, and they said, 'Sorry, if you don't have cash upfront, we cannot help you.'"
"That's why I said, 'Please, call Channel 7' because nobody wanted to help us," said Lucy Sanabria. "Nobody."
Within 60 minutes at Coral Springs Animal Hospital, Kimmy was cleaned up. Her eye was put back in position and was ready for surgery. No one at the animal hospital even mentioned money. "We like to do pro bono work throughout the year to give back to the community that gives so much to us," said Shayne Gardner.
"We just heard there was a patient in need," said Dr. Sullivan, "and I thought if there is something I can do to help this kitten, coz I heard about how traumatic this was."
Last week, the same animal hospital took on the case of Reginald Sparticus Gordon. He had been trapped in a burning apartment and inhaled so much smoke that he had become blind and could not walk.
It was a combined effort to save both pets. The generosity of our viewers was such that the animal hospital decided to take care of the bill. But sadly, after all their best efforts, the carbon monoxide ended up poisoning little Reginald Sparticus Gordon, and he died. "I'm thankful," said the puppy's owner. "We didn't think that we would be able to get as much help as we did."
As for Kimmy, the left eye must be removed, but he will live and can expect a complete recovery.
(Copyright 2013 by Sunbeam Television Corp. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)