Residents of assisted living facility still displaced after fire
MIAMI (WSVN) -- A candle is said to have been what started a fire at an assisted living facility, Saturday.
The fire broke out Saturday afternoon inside a unit on the sixth floor where a 90-year-old woman lives. Miami Fire Rescue is now trying to figure out how to get residents from the building back into their rooms.
Firefighters have not been able to confirm if she lit a candle, but residents said she's known to burn candles in her apartment.
Due to the location of the unit, sprinklers were not able to put out the fire.
Firefighters were able to get the woman out safely and put out the fire but are now trying to figure out how to get the majority of the elderly residents back inside since the elevators are not functioning properly.
The woman who lives inside that unit was taken to Jackson Memorial Hospital along with the police officer who went inside the unit to help her get out. That police officer later returned to the scene but was moving slowly.
Dozens of residents were given oxygen on the scene.
The residents and Miami firefighters are waiting on a county electrical inspector to arrive at the scene and check out the elevator and see if there is any way of possibly fixing it by Saturday night.
If they can't, they are going to have to take all 60 residents who cannot get into their apartments and put them up somewhere else.
(Copyright 2013 by Sunbeam Television Corp. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)