Couple safe after house catches fire
LAUDERHILL, Fla. (WSVN) -- Firefighters have extinguished a fierce fire that left a gaping, smoldering hole in the roof of a large, single-family home.
Units from Lauderhill, Tamarac and Sunrise all responded to the massive blaze located at 4230 NW 74th Ave. just after 3 p.m. Friday. A neighbor noticed the flames and called 911.
The fire started in a back bedroom and soon spread to the garage. Lauderhill Fire Rescue Lt. Jerry Gonzalez said, "That's when the structure becomes so unsafe that it's not workable from inside. We have trusses that could be falling and stuff. We'd rather take it outside and go with a defensive operation."
Firefighters had to use a ladder truck to fight the flames from above.
The couple who live at the home and left for a doctor appointment and came back as fire was raging. No one was ever inside the home.
A firefighter suffered a minor back injury and was taken away, but he is expected to be OK.
The flames were extinguished by 3:35 p.m. Now fire investigators will look into what started the blaze.
(Copyright 2013 by Sunbeam Television Corp. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)