Family rescued after parked boat catches fire
KEY LARGO, Fla. (WSVN) -- A boat parked under a South Florida home caught fire Sunday morning, trapping a family of four and their dog inside until deputies and firefighters came to the rescue.
The residents and their pet were stuck on the second story of their home, located on La Paloma Road in Key Largo, because the vessel was parked right next to the only entrance, and the heat coming from the blaze kept the occupants from being able to exit.
A neighbor called the fire department to report nearby smoke just after 6:30 a.m., the first of several phone calls that alerted authorities about the fire.
Monroe County Sheriff's Deputy Dave Campbell arrived at the home and found a ladder next door. Officials said he directed a man trapped inside to throw his dog, a 75-pound Boxer, into a pool located below the house. He then used the ladder to help the family to safety.
Firefighters quickly put out the flames. No one was injured.
(Copyright 2013 by Sunbeam Television Corp. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)