Second snake bite victim recovering
HOLLYWOOD, Fla. (WSVN) -- A man is recovering in the hospital Wednesday after he was bitten by rattlesnake while trying to help a turtle. This is the second rattlesnake bite victim in just two weeks.
Miami-Dade Fire Rescue said the 24-year-old man was administered six vials of antivenin after an Eastern Diamond Rattlesnake bit him, Tuesday. "A dose that we'd give for what would be considered a moderate bite," said Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Captain Jeff Fobb, "a bite that's not systemic in nature, a bite that has local effects but hasn't started to affect heart coagulation and no neurological symptoms."
The victim was helping a turtle off the street somewhere near where Interstate 595 and Interstate 75 merge in Western Broward when he was attacked, said officials. When he picked up the turtle and placed it in the grass, he was bitten on the hand by the juvenile 8-inch rattlesnake.
The victim drove himself to Memorial Regional Hospital in Hollywood, where he is responding well to the anti-venin administered by Miami-Dade Fire Rescue's Venom Unit. He is listed in good condition and he is expected to be released from the hospital sometime Wednesday.
Since the snake was a juvenile, he was not injected with as much venom as he would have, had a fully-grown snake bit him. "Even if it's a small snake, it can put you in the hospital," said Fobb. "However, they're so small their venom glands aren't big enough to produce a large quality of venom, so the myth that they're more dangerous than adults is just that: it's a myth."
Last Friday, park ranger Anthony Terry spoke about being bitten by another Eastern Diamond Rattlesnake. "I respond to the area and located the rattlesnake and some rangers working on him," he said. "I got the snake bag and was putting the rattlesnake in the bag and as I was dropping him in, I didn't push him in the bag, I dropped him in the bag and he caught a hold of my finger as he was falling."
Terry described the pain after arriving at the hospital. "It felt like a hammer that had been heated up and every time my heart beat, the hammer would hit my hand and then it got harder and harder, and I started hallucinating, so I don't remember most of it," said Terry.
Both victims are expected to make full recoveries. As for the increase in snake bites, officials said, the recent rains have pushed these snakes closer to homes.
(Copyright 2013 by Sunbeam Television Corp. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)