Tracking the Tropics
Hurricane Sandy Closures
- Monroe County School District will close schools tomorrow due to high winds expected in upper Keys from Hurricane Sandy.
- Miami-Dade County Schools has canceled all outdoor activities for today.
- Broward County Schools has canceled all outdoor activities for Thursday and Friday. Also for Thursday, all school-based evening activities, including adult education classes, have been canceled. For Friday, October 26, no student attendance for all Broward County Public Schools for scheduled employee Planning day. For Friday, October 26, all employees should report to work as per their regular schedule. For Saturday, all drivers' education classes are canceled.
- Archdiocese of Miami Schools closing due to Hurricane Sandy.
- Abundant Life Christian Academy in Margate will be closed Friday due to Hurricane Sandy.
- Biltmore School will close on Friday due to Hurricane Sandy.
- Florida Barber Academy will close at 4 p.m. Thursday and will be closed Friday. Classes will resume on Saturday.
- American Heritage and Academy Schools in Plantation will be closed Friday.
- Gulliver Schools will be closed on Friday.
- Belen Jesuit Preparatory School will be closed on Friday.
- Miami Country Day School will be closed on Friday. All activities will resume as normal on Saturday.
- Westminster Christian School will be closed Friday.
- RASG Hebrew Academy in Miami Beach will be closed on Friday.
- Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL) will remain fully operational. However, some flights have been canceled. For more information visit: www.fll.net.
- Tri-Rail will operate on a normal weekday schedule on Friday, Oct. 26. Trains are not expected to be impacted by winds from Hurricane Sandy. For the latest updates, log onto www.tri-rail.com or call 1-800-TRI-RAIL (874-7245.)
- Miami-Dade Transit's Metrobus, Metrorail and Metromover will provide regular weekday service tomorrow, Friday, Oct. 26.
Government and public services
- Miami-Dade County's Office of Emergency Management (OEM) is closely monitoring Hurricane Sandy. At this time, all services continue normal operations. OEM staff and partner agencies are coordinating information and remain in a ready state.
- FPL has activated storm Command Center and are prepared to implement emergency response plan should it be needed.
- At this time, all Miami-Dade courts will be open for business as usual on Friday, Oct. 26. Any court closures or changes to court schedules will be posted for access by the public online at www.jud11.flcourts.org.
- The Town Hall meeting scheduled for this evening at Coral Gables Senior High School has been postponed.
- The Title I District Advisory Council (DAC) meeting scheduled for Thursday evening at West Miami Middle School has been cancelled due to the effects of Hurricane Sandy.
Parks and beaches
- All Fort Lauderdale beaches are closed.
- The beach at John U. Lloyd State park is closed.
- Deerfield Public Beach is closed.
-Pompano Beach Fishing Pier is closed.
-Bal Harbour Village Beach is closed.
- Due to inclement weather, the high school football game between the Miami Central Rockets and the Miami Northwestern Bulls, originally scheduled for Friday has been moved to Saturday at Sun Life Stadium.
- Miami Seaquarium’s opening day Friday of Monster Splash Halloween Celebration has been postponed due to Hurricane Sandy. It will instead open on Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday from 12 p.m. - 10 p.m.
- Bill O'Reilly appearance at Hard Rock Live has been postponed to Friday, Jan. 18, 2013.
- Due to the high winds and bad weather, the Miami Lakes has decided to postpone the groundbreaking ceremony for its first ever Youth Center. The event will now take place Tuesday, Oct. 30 at 5:30 p.m., at 6101 Miami Lakes Drive East.
- Mother of Christ Catholic Church Harvest Festival has been cancelled due to weather today, Oct. 25. The Fair will reopen the following day, Oct. 26 and run through Sunday, Oct. 28.
- The Fort Lauderdale Film Fest is offering free movie tickets Thursday for anyone named "Sandy" on their ID: http://www.fliff.com/Films_and_Events
- The Halloween Hoe-Down scheduled for 6 pm tonight at Villages of Hillsboro Park in Deerfield Beach is canceled.
- The City of Tamarac Halloween Hoopla event scheduled for Friday has been cancelled. It has been rescheduled for Tuesday, Oct. 30.
- Lauderhill Police Department Halloween Safety Day has been rescheduled for Tuesday, Oct. 30.
- The Greater Miami Athletic Conference has cancelled the homecoming games versus Mater Academy originally scheduled for Friday. The homecoming dance scheduled for Friday night has not been cancelled.