Ex-tabloid editor quizzed in phone hacking probe
LONDON (AP) -- The former editor of Britain's Daily Mirror tabloid has been questioned by police investigating phone hacking, British media reported Friday.
The Press Association, Sky News and others said Richard Wallace, 51, was interviewed under caution Friday. That means he was not arrested but the interview was recorded and could be used in future prosecutions.
London's Metropolitan Police said a 51-year-old man was interviewed at a police station "in connection with the suspected conspiracy to intercept telephone voicemails at Mirror Group Newspapers."
Britain's scandal over illegal eavesdropping by journalists began at Rupert Murdoch's now-defunct News of the World but has spread to other titles.
On Thursday four current and former senior Mirror Group journalists were arrested, including the editor of the Sunday People tabloid and his deputy. All four have been bailed pending further inquiries.
Police say their investigation centers on allegations of hacking at the Sunday Mirror.
Wallace was deputy editor of that newspaper from 2003 to 2004, and editor of the Daily Mirror between 2004 and 2012.
He replaced Piers Morgan -- now a high-profile CNN interviewer -- who was fired from the Daily Mirror after the newspaper ran pictures of British soldiers abusing Iraqis that were exposed as fakes.
Wallace told Britain's media ethics inquiry last year that hacking "might well" have occurred at the Daily Mirror in the early 2000s. Morgan edited the newspaper between 1995 and 2004.
Morgan has repeatedly denied ever having hacked a phone or having ordered anyone else to hack a phone. But in a newspaper article in 2006, he boasted of eavesdropping on a phone message that Paul McCartney left on ex-wife Heather Mills' answering machine.
(Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)