The Chef: Guillermo Garcia
The Restaurant: Happy Wine in Coconut Grove
The Dish: Beef Short Ribs
2 lb. Beef short ribs (boneless)
1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
1 ounce of garlic
1 liter red wine
1 ounce whole black peppercorns
4 bay leaves
1 bunch thyme
1 bunch rosemary
For Carrot Puree:
1/2 lb carrots
1/2 tsp cumin
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup wine
1/2 cup butter
1 Tbs. salt
1/2 Tbs. white pepper
Method of Preparation:
- Prepare the boneless short ribs early in the day. Put olive oil in a hot sauté pan. Sprinkle kosher salt on the ribs and sear them in the pan on both sides.
- Next, make a mirepoix. In a hot pan, add olive oil, carrots, onions and sauté. Then, add tomatoes, bay leaves, black peppercorns, garlic and salt. Sauté for several minutes and add red wine, then Thyme and Rosemary. Sauté for another 4-5 minutes.
- Put the seared ribs in a deep oven pan, then pour the mirepoix over them. Cover with foil and put in a 350 degree oven for six hours.
- For the carrot puree, put olive oil in a hot sauté pan and add carrots, salt, cumin, brown sugar, honey and white wine. Sauté until tender, then put it in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- When short ribs are done, remove from the pan and sauté the mirepoix juice. Add butter and reduce. Now put the short ribs in the sauce and sauté in the reduction.
- Put the carrot puree in a sauté pan, add butter, heat and mix well.
Make a bed of the carrot puree and place a portion of the short ribs in center. Top it off with the mirepoix reduction.
Serving suggestion: Viña Ardanza Reserva
2833 Bird Avenue
Miami, FL 33133