Father speaks out after baby left at fire station - WSVN-TV - 7NEWS Miami Ft. Lauderdale News, Weather, Deco

Father speaks out after baby left at fire station

A father speaks out after his baby was left at a fire station. A father speaks out after his baby was left at a fire station.

DAVIE, Fla. (WSVN) -- A South Florida father whose baby was left at a Davie fire station said he did not abandon his baby and just wants to be reunited with his child.

"I just want my son back, you know, that's the main thing," Robert Conver said. "He's a beautiful, beautiful child. I love him very much."

Conver plans to ask a judge for custody of his 5-month-old son Daniel during a court hearing next month.

The baby was dropped off at the Davie Fire Rescue Station 38 last week by a friend, who, Conver said, he left the boy with for three nights while he cleaned his apartment and went food shopping. "I don't think that it's right that somebody took it upon themselves to determine whether or not I'm a fit father," Conver said. "I take care of my son. I always have for the five months of his life."

Conver believes his friend dropped off the baby because he has had problems with drugs. He said he is now clean and received the call from his wife, who is in jail, and saw the baby's picture on TV. "She called and said, 'Where's Daniel? Is he OK?' and I'm like, Yeah, he's OK. He's over Steve's house. 'Oh, because I just saw a news report of somebody that dropped a child off at the fire station and are trying to locate the parents, and he looks like Daniel,'" Conver said.

"The doctors at the hospital were able to determine that he is completely healthy," said Davie Police Sgt. Ed Smith. "There's nothing in their preliminary investigation or preliminary examination of him to indicate that the child was under any duress or any stress or anything like that."

The baby's fate will now be up to a judge to decide.

"I'm kind of at a loss, you know, it's hard being alone with a son," Conver said.

The hearing with the judge is set Feb. 13. The baby remains in state custody.

Mi Vida Cafe

Friday, July 25 2014 9:15 PM EDT2014-07-26 01:15:11 GMT
    Mi Vida Cafe's Quinoa Burger.Mi Vida Cafe's Quinoa Burger.
    Here in So-Flo, we like to hang out half naked, especially in the summer, which is why eating healthy is so important to keep that bod in shape. I know eating healthy can be so boring. I mean, I wanna look good and feel good, but I don't wanna give up taste. I just found a healthy new joint that's both delicious and has me seriously considering becoming a vegan.

Asante Samuel

Friday, July 25 2014 8:26 PM EDT2014-07-26 00:26:35 GMT
    We're not Realtors, but we love a house that has luxury to spare. So when NFL star Asante Samuel invited Deco for a little tour, how could we say no?

Funkshion Fashion Week Miami Beach - Barraca Chic

Friday, July 25 2014 4:02 PM EDT2014-07-25 20:02:32 GMT
    Funksion Fashion Week Miami Beach kicks off tomorrow, and Deco's got your sneak peak from the SLS Hotel on SoBe.

• National SportsMore>>

Sailors to navigate dirty water in 1st Rio test

Monday, July 28 2014 12:15 PM EDT2014-07-28 16:15:12 GMT
    Sailors are gathering for the first test event of the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, concerned about water pollution in Guanabara Bay that some liken to a sewer.
    Sailors, coaches and the mayor of Rio de Janeiro acknowledge the problem: Guanabara Bay, the venue for sailing at the 2016 Olympics, is badly polluted. Some liken it to a sewer.

Tax fraud case against Lionel Messi goes ahead

Monday, July 28 2014 11:25 AM EDT2014-07-28 15:25:14 GMT
    A Spanish judge on Monday rejected a prosecutor's request to drop charges of tax fraud against Lionel Messi and ordered the investigation into three cases of suspected unpaid taxes to proceed.

Commonwealth Games lifter faces sex assault charge

Monday, July 28 2014 10:29 AM EDT2014-07-28 14:29:16 GMT
    A weightlifter from Papua New Guinea who competed at the Commonwealth Games faces trial over an alleged sexual assault at a Glasgow supermarket.
  • Local NewsMore>>

Synagogue in North Miami Beach vandalized

Monday, July 28 2014 10:04 AM EDT2014-07-28 14:04:53 GMT
    NORTH MIAMI BEACH, Fla. -- Authorities are searching for the vandals who spray painted anti-Semitic messages on a South Florida synagogue.

Miami Beach family outraged after 2 vehicles egged, defaced

Monday, July 28 2014 12:20 PM EDT2014-07-28 16:20:14 GMT
    Police said this Infiniti SUV was defaced with cream cheese.Police said this Infiniti SUV was defaced with cream cheese.
    MIAMI BEACH, Fla. -- A South Florida family is declaring the actions of the person or people who, police said, vandalized two of their vehicles outside their home anti-Semitic.

Sunday service held at Miami church after AC unit stolen

Monday, July 28 2014 12:13 PM EDT2014-07-28 16:13:02 GMT
    United Christian World Outreach Ministries in Miami.United Christian World Outreach Ministries in Miami.
    MIAMI -- A South Florida congregation came together for Sunday worship, days after their church's air conditioning unit was stolen.