AP source: Albert, Mitchell reach deals with Miami - WSVN-TV - 7NEWS Miami Ft. Lauderdale News, Weather, Deco

AP source: Albert, Mitchell reach deals with Miami

Posted: Updated:

By STEVEN WINE

AP Sports Writer

MIAMI (AP) -- With the Miami Dolphins desperate to rebuild their troubled offensive line, Branden Albert will provide a 6-foot-5, 316-pound cornerstone.

The Pro Bowl left tackle agreed to terms on a five-year contract worth more than $45 million, a person familiar with the negotiations said Tuesday.

Former Houston Texans defensive tackle Earl Mitchell agreed to terms on a $16 million, four-year deal with Miami, the person said. Both deals will be completed pending physicals.

The person confirmed the agreements to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the team hadn't made an announcement. The deals were part of a busy first day of free agency for new Dolphins general manager Dennis Hickey.

"I am now a Miami Dolphin," Albert tweeted Tuesday night. "PhinsUp. Welcoming me with open arms... It's time to work."

Albert, a first-round draft pick by the Kansas City Chiefs in 2008, started 83 games for them in the past six seasons. He'll move into the position played at the start of last season by Jonathan Martin, who left the Dolphins in October and alleged he was harassed persistently by teammates.

The bullying scandal that then unfolded sabotaged Miami's season.

Guards Richie Incognito and John Jerry, both implicated in the scandal, are among the Dolphins who became free agents Tuesday. Neither is expected back in Miami.

Albert has a home in South Florida, and the Dolphins tried to swing a trade for him a year ago. Instead the Chiefs used the franchise tag on Albert and paid him more than $9.8 million, and he helped them reach the playoffs.

Meanwhile, Martin was a bust at left tackle for the Dolphins, who gave up a franchise-record 58 sacks and finished 8-8.

Albert will be reunited with new Dolphins assistant offensive line coach Jack Bicknell, who coached for the Chiefs in 2012.

Albert tweeted that his move to Miami was "bittersweet."

"I want to thank the Chiefs organization and the Chiefs nation and fan base for 6 great years of my career," he tweeted. "Thanks to all the loyal fans that watched me blossom from a boy to a man.... And into a pretty darn football player.... The Chief nation will always be in my heart and have a special meaning to me.... I always appreciate the love and support of the sea of red and yellow."

Mitchell, a third-round pick by Houston in 2010, became a starter last year. He'll help replace defensive tackles Paul Soliai and Randy Starks, both free agents.

Soliai agreed to terms Tuesday with the Atlanta Falcons.

The Dolphins remain in the hunt for more offensive line help, and they're shopping for a tight end.

------

AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org and http://twitter.com/AP--NFL

------

Follow Steven Wine on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Steve--Wine

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


  • College FootballMore>>

  • Ohio State under shadow again, this time with band

    Ohio State under shadow again, this time with band

    Friday, July 25 2014 6:25 PM EDT2014-07-25 22:25:11 GMT
    The Ohio State marching band is moving forward without its director; a day after he was fired they're performing with the Columbus Symphony in what's often considered the band's unofficial season kickoff.
    Having forced out a beloved football coach and watched its president retire after a series of verbal gaffes, Ohio State University again finds itself grabbing headlines with the firing of a celebrated marching band...
  • Dallas Cowboys LB McClain convicted in Alabama

    Dallas Cowboys LB McClain convicted in Alabama

    Friday, July 25 2014 6:15 PM EDT2014-07-25 22:15:50 GMT
    A judge on Friday convicted Dallas Cowboys linebacker Rolando McClain of resisting arrest and disorderly conduct in his Alabama hometown and imposed an 18-day jail term that could interrupt the player's bid to...
    A judge on Friday convicted Dallas Cowboys linebacker Rolando McClain of resisting arrest and disorderly conduct in his Alabama hometown and imposed an 18-day jail term that could interrupt the player's bid to restart...
  • 2 Texas football players charged with sex assault

    2 Texas football players charged with sex assault

    Thursday, July 24 2014 5:23 PM EDT2014-07-24 21:23:32 GMT
    Two University of Texas football players were arrested and charged Thursday with felony sexual assault after a female student said she was raped in a campus dorm room last month.
    Two University of Texas football players were arrested and charged Thursday with felony sexual assault after a female student said she was raped in a campus dorm room last month.
Powered by WorldNow

WSVN-TV
Sunbeam Television Corp
1401 79th Street Causeway
Miami, FL 33141

Switchboard: (305) 751-6692
Newsroom: (305) 795-2777

Can't find something?
Connect with us here:
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WSVN. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.