Busy start to free agency for Dolphins - WSVN-TV - 7NEWS Miami Ft. Lauderdale News, Weather, Deco

Busy start to free agency for Dolphins

Posted: Updated:

By STEVE WINE

AP Sports Writer

DAVIE, Fla. (AP) -- New Miami Dolphins general manager Dennis Hickey stepped to the microphone and apologized for his hoarse voice, explaining he wore it down in recent days trying to build a winner.

Hickey then introduced a succession of big acquisitions in the first 24 hours of free agency -- 316-pound left tackle Branden Albert, 300-pound defensive tackle Earl Mitchell and 305-pound defensive tackle Randy Starks. All signed Wednesday.

Starks remained with the Dolphins after a brief stint as a free agent, signing a $12 million, two-year contract. He spent the past six seasons with the Dolphins, with only one playoff game during that time.

"The moves we made so far just show we're close to doing something special here, and trying to bring in some people to help us get over the hump," he said.

The return of Starks, a two-time Pro Bowl player, and the addition of Mitchell compensate for the loss of defensive tackle Paul Soliai, who joined the Atlanta Falcons after seven years with Miami.

"Paul's a good player," Starks said. "He has been here a long time. He'll be well missed, but we have people who can step up."

Hickey's shopping will continue, with additional offensive linemen, a tight end and a linebacker the most pressing needs. The Dolphins are trying to end a 13-year drought without a postseason victory, and they're eager to put in the past their bullying scandal that involved tackle Jonathan Martin.

The acquisition of Albert was a step in that direction. He'll take over the position manned at the start of last season by Martin, who was traded late Tuesday to the San Francisco 49ers for an undisclosed draft choice.

"I'm going to be here to play left tackle and make a difference," Albert said. "That's the reason I'm here. I feel like it's a team I can help the most and make my legacy even better."

Albert signed a $47 million, five-year deal that includes $26 million guaranteed. Dolphins officials, accompanied by a couple of players, treated Albert to dinner Tuesday night to celebrate the agreement.

"Probably the happiest person at the dining room table was Ryan Tannehill," Hickey said. "He was really excited to have a player of his caliber on our team."

Albert will protect the blind side for Tannehill, who was sacked a franchise-record 58 times last year.

Mitchell was also part of the dinner celebration after agreeing to a $16 million, four-year deal. Like Albert and Starks, Mitchell envisions better days ahead for the Dolphins.

"I'm coming to produce and definitely trying to help this team reach new heights," Mitchell said. "That's my reason for being here. I'm trying to get us to a Super Bowl."

Mitchell blossomed in his fourth NFL season with the Houston Texans last year, when he became a starter and won raves for the way he clogged the middle. He has been playing defense only since his junior year at the University of Arizona, and he and Hickey both said he's still improving.

Albert's reputation has also been on the rise, and he made the Pro Bowl last year with the Kansas City Chiefs. He has had a home the past three offseasons 45 minutes from the Dolphins' complex and will now move north, eager to go to work with his new team.

"I live in downtown Miami, but I probably won't anymore because of the commute," he said with a smile. "I've got to find a place close to the facility."

------

AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org and www.twitter.com/AP--NFL

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • FootballMore>>

  • TCU's Fields investigated for alleged assault

    TCU's Fields investigated for alleged assault

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 6:07 PM EDT2014-07-22 22:07:07 GMT
    TCU suspended defensive end Devonte Fields on Tuesday pending the results of a police investigation into whether he punched a former girlfriend in the head and threatened her with a gun while shouting, "I should...
    TCU suspended defensive end Devonte Fields on Tuesday pending the results of a police investigation into whether he punched a former girlfriend in the head and threatened her with a gun while shouting, "I should blast you!"
  • Seahawks start atop AP Pro32 rankings

    Seahawks start atop AP Pro32 rankings

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 5:32 PM EDT2014-07-22 21:32:33 GMT
    The Seattle Seahawks start the preseason right where they ended last season, as the No. 1 team in the AP Pro32 NFL power rankings.
    The Seattle Seahawks start the preseason right where they ended last season, as the No. 1 team in the AP Pro32 NFL power rankings.
  • Paterno son, other former assistant sue Penn State

    Paterno son, other former assistant sue Penn State

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 5:21 PM EDT2014-07-22 21:21:48 GMT
    A son of late Penn State football coach Joe Paterno has sued the university over his dismissal from its coaching staff two years ago, saying he has been unfairly linked to the Jerry Sandusky child molestation scandal.
    A son of late Penn State football coach Joe Paterno has sued the university over his dismissal from its coaching staff two years ago, saying he has been unfairly linked to the Jerry Sandusky child molestation scandal.
  • College FootballMore>>

  • TCU's Fields investigated for alleged assault

    TCU's Fields investigated for alleged assault

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 6:07 PM EDT2014-07-22 22:07:07 GMT
    TCU suspended defensive end Devonte Fields on Tuesday pending the results of a police investigation into whether he punched a former girlfriend in the head and threatened her with a gun while shouting, "I should...
    TCU suspended defensive end Devonte Fields on Tuesday pending the results of a police investigation into whether he punched a former girlfriend in the head and threatened her with a gun while shouting, "I should blast you!"
  • Paterno son, other former assistant sue Penn State

    Paterno son, other former assistant sue Penn State

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 5:21 PM EDT2014-07-22 21:21:48 GMT
    A son of late Penn State football coach Joe Paterno has sued the university over his dismissal from its coaching staff two years ago, saying he has been unfairly linked to the Jerry Sandusky child molestation scandal.
    A son of late Penn State football coach Joe Paterno has sued the university over his dismissal from its coaching staff two years ago, saying he has been unfairly linked to the Jerry Sandusky child molestation scandal.
  • Big 12 commish's dire warning about pending change

    Big 12 commish's dire warning about pending change

    Monday, July 21 2014 11:53 PM EDT2014-07-22 03:53:20 GMT
    Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby had a dire warning Monday for anyone who likes intercollegiate athletics the way they are now.
    Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby had a dire warning Monday for anyone who likes intercollegiate athletics the way they are now.
  • Miami DolphinsMore>>

  • Revamped OL will be Dolphins' focus in camp

    Revamped OL will be Dolphins' focus in camp

    Monday, July 21 2014 4:02 PM EDT2014-07-21 20:02:00 GMT
    DAVIE, Fla. -- Four games into the 2013 season, the Miami Dolphins' blocking deficiencies were already apparent, with the team on pace to allow an NFL-record 72 sacks.
    DAVIE, Fla. -- Four games into the 2013 season, the Miami Dolphins' blocking deficiencies were already apparent, with the team on pace to allow an NFL-record 72 sacks.
  • Dolphins sign Colledge to 1-year deal

    Dolphins sign Colledge to 1-year deal

    The Miami Dolphins have signed offensive lineman Daryn Colledge to a one-year contract.
    The Miami Dolphins have signed offensive lineman Daryn Colledge to a one-year contract.
  • Dolphins center Pouncey undergoes hip surgery

    Dolphins center Pouncey undergoes hip surgery

    Pro Bowl center Mike Pouncey, the lone returning starter in the Miami Dolphins' offensive line, is expected to miss the start of the season recovering from hip surgery.
    Pro Bowl center Mike Pouncey, the lone returning starter in the Miami Dolphins' offensive line, is expected to miss the start of the season recovering from hip surgery.
Powered by WorldNow

WSVN-TV
Sunbeam Television Corp
1401 79th Street Causeway
Miami, FL 33141

Switchboard: (305) 751-6692
Newsroom: (305) 795-2777

Can't find something?
Connect with us here:
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WSVN. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.