Incognito wants to return to Miami Dolphins - WSVN-TV - 7NEWS Miami Ft. Lauderdale News, Weather, Deco

Incognito wants to return to Miami Dolphins

MIAMI (WSVN) -- Former Miami Dolphins player Richie Incognito broke his silence in the wake of his stint in rehab and a report that labeled him a bully.

Speaking in an exclusive interview, Incognito said he was feeling well after treatment. Now he wants to get back on the field.

He spoke to 7's Rosh Lowe about his future on the football field. During the interview, Incognito stressed the fact that he wants to come back to South Florida. He is currently in Arizona, but he wants another opportunity to play for the Miami Dolphins.

Rosh Lowe: "How much do you want to return to the Dolphins?"

Richie Incognito: "Returning to the Dolphins was my number one goal from the time I got suspended."

Incognito said he wants to play for the Miami Dolphins again.

Richie Incognito: "I want to return to the community in Miami and resume my playing career as soon as possible."

The offensive lineman recently sought professional help for mental health issues.

Rosh Lowe: "Why did you go into treatment?"

Richie Incognito: "Because I was stressed. I believe in post traumatic stress syndrome, and I believe in private mental health care."

Incognito was accused of bullying then-teammate Jonathan Martin. It led Martin to walk away from the team and to a full scale investigation by the National Football League, which issued a lengthy report. The investigation determined Incognito and two other Miami Dolphins offensive linemen engaged in persistent harassment of Martin. Incognito was then suspended and missed the final eight games. He became a free agent when his contract with the Dolphins expired.

Richie Incognito: "I didn't even read it [the report]. I skimmed it. I knew what was in it for months."

Incognito spoke to 7News just a day after returning to Twitter following a lengthy absence. His message is clear. He said he wants a do-over and takes responsibility.

Richie Incognito: "I want a clean slate. I'm at peace with everything that happened. I'm at peace with the attorneys and myself. Go to my Twitter page. I'm back online, and I'm not mad at anybody."

Rosh Lowe: "What was your reaction when Jonathan Martin signed with the 49ers?"

Richie Incognito: "I was excited. He always felt welcomed up there at Stanford and with Coach Harbaugh. So I said, you know what? He's got an opportunity that he can run with. He can go play. I think it's awesome. The bottom line is, I'm for the people, by the people, and I just want to go back to work."

Rosh Lowe: "So the message to Dolphins fans is what, Richie?"

Richie Incognito: "Dolphins fans, Richie is well. Richie wants to come back and play. But the business has to handle the business end, and that's it."

Incognito posted his first tweet after his stint in rehab. "Feels good to finally be #FREEEEEE," he wrote.

Incognito wants to return to Miami. But, the question remains, will he get another chance in the NFL? Richie says football is what he knows. It's in his blood, and he thinks that everyone deserves a second chance.

• College FootballMore>>

Cop once drew gun on squirrel-hunting QB Winston

Wednesday, July 30 2014 5:56 PM EDT2014-07-30 21:56:45 GMT
    Police say Heisman Trophy winner Jameis Winston and Florida State teammate Chris Casher were held at gunpoint by campus police nearly two years ago while hunting squirrels with a pellet gun.
    Heisman Trophy winner Jameis Winston and Florida State teammate Chris Casher were held at gunpoint by campus police nearly two years ago while hunting squirrels with a pellet gun, police say.

Cincinnati picked to win American

Tuesday, July 29 2014 9:19 AM EDT2014-07-29 13:19:15 GMT
    Cincinnati has been picked to win the American Athletic Conference, with defending champion Central Florida second.

Penn State hires former Cal AD to lead program

Saturday, July 26 2014 3:54 PM EDT2014-07-26 19:54:18 GMT
    Penn State has hired Sandy Barbour as athletic director, a month after she stepped down as AD at the University of California-Berkeley.
    Penn State hired Sandy Barbour as athletic director, a month after she stepped down as AD at the University of California-Berkeley.

Drunken Dragon

Friday, August 1 2014 9:41 PM EDT2014-08-02 01:41:09 GMT
    The tuna tataki pizza at Drunken Dragon.The tuna tataki pizza at Drunken Dragon.
    There's a new restaurant that has everyone buzzing, and it's barely been open a month. Already, Drunken Dragon's packing them in night after night, offering authentic Korean barbecue right in the heart of South Beach. But where, exactly?

Miami Spa Month - The Betsy Wellness Garden and Spa

Friday, August 1 2014 12:15 AM EDT2014-08-01 04:15:32 GMT
    If you're in need of some serious R&R, Miami Spa Month runs through Aug. 31. That means you can get pampered and preened without killing your pocket book. Tonight, Deco's professional spa goer Shireen Sandoval is checking us into the Betsy Hotel because that's where the Betsy Wellness Garden & Spa is. The outdoor oasis is the perfect place to relax, get rubbed and realize what's really important in life: balancing your mind, body and spirit.