Ethiopian food - Whole Foods - WSVN-TV - 7NEWS Miami Ft. Lauderdale News, Weather, Deco

Ethiopian food - Whole Foods

You don't have to check your GPS to know Ethiopia is a long way from South Florida. These days, however, you can eat like an Ethiopian. Whole Foods is featuring the cuisine of the African nation right here in SoFlo.

The foods of Ethiopia are yours for the tasting at Whole Foods. The upscale supermarket chain is offering its customers dishes that are rare indeed.

Jeremy Jones: "Ethiopian food is very difficult to find in Florida and South Florida specifically."

You're sure to find a dish to please your palette.

Jeremy Jones: "We're actually featuring eight to nine dishes on each hot bar. They range from chicken, beef, vegetarian dishes."

This is the kind of hearty and healthy fare that fills the belly.

Jeremy Jones: "These dishes are mainly stew-based. They're very intensive to make so it takes a while to create these dishes. You've got lots of vegetables in them."

You can consume these delectable delights with a fork and spoon if that's your style. The home folks choose to use the scoop technique.

Jeremy Jones: "The anjeera bread is used basically as the utensils for the Ethiopian cuisine. They use it they scoop it up."

The secret weapon in Ethiopian food is the mix of spices used to create the unique flavors. It's kinda like Indian food and kinda not.

Jeremy Jones: "The salt the red pepper the turmeric all kinds of spices are a little bit similar, but it does have its own distinct taste."

The food may be from far away, but the way you eat it that's something everyone can relate to.

Jeremy Jones: "You know people sit down together as a family, they eat this dish together so it really does go back to the original sit-down family style dinner food."

If you're a foodie always on the lookout for something new, Whole Foods is calling your name.

Jeremy Jones: "People can actually come here and taste Ethiopian food. A lot of people for the very first time and that's what makes it really great."

Tuesday, July 29 2014 8:37 PM EDT2014-07-30 00:37:50 GMT

Sam factor prepares Rams for sensitivity session

Tuesday, July 29 2014 8:26 PM EDT2014-07-30 00:26:35 GMT
    To guard against another Miami Dolphins bullying scandal, NFL teams are holding sensitivity sessions during training camp.
    To guard against another bullying scandal, NFL teams are holding sensitivity sessions during training camp.

Lawyers for Hollywood sex-abuse accuser want out

Tuesday, July 29 2014 7:56 PM EDT2014-07-29 23:56:40 GMT
    Lawyers for a former child model accusing 'X-Men' director Bryan Singer of sex abuse say they want out of the case because their relationship with the accuser has deteriorated.
    Lawyers for a former child model accusing 'X-Men' director Bryan Singer of sex abuse said Tuesday they want to get off the case because their relationship with the accuser has deteriorated.

Hot in Hong Kong

Thursday, July 10 2014 5:55 PM EDT2014-07-10 21:55:15 GMT
    When I walked out of the Hong Kong airport, the heat of the city slapped me so hard across the face, it was like a woman catching her cheating husband with a long-suspected mistress.

Neptunes Boutique

Tuesday, July 29 2014 8:37 PM EDT2014-07-30 00:37:27 GMT
    One of the biggest trends in swimwear this year is mini me fashions. The style even made a big splash at Miami Beach Swim Week. Tonight, Deco's Shireen Sandoval is going extra small to show off beautiful beachwear.

Pizza Heaven

Tuesday, July 29 2014 1:16 AM EDT2014-07-29 05:16:27 GMT
    You can work up a great big hunger when you're an action hero, especially if you're playing a guy who's half man, half god. Dwyane "The Rock" Johnson gets really hungry in his latest movie, "Hercules." Our So-Flo homeboy had to stay pretty jacked for the role. That meant watching his diet, but when it was finally time to let loose, he knew just where to go.