Miami Beach officer suspended for allegedly working drunk - WSVN-TV - 7NEWS Miami Ft. Lauderdale News, Weather, Deco

Miami Beach officer suspended for allegedly working drunk

Posted: Updated:
Miami Beach Police Sgt. Mike Muley Miami Beach Police Sgt. Mike Muley
Newly appointed Miami Beach Police Chief Dan Oates. Newly appointed Miami Beach Police Chief Dan Oates.
Mango's Tropical Cafe on Ocean Drive. Mango's Tropical Cafe on Ocean Drive.

MIAMI BEACH, Fla. (WSVN) -- A Miami Beach Police officer is being investigated by his own colleagues after he was allegedly drunk during an off-duty job at a South Beach nightclub.

Miami Beach Police Sgt. Mike Muley has been relieved of duty with pay while internal affairs investigates the allegation.

According to Miami Beach Police, they received an anonymous call stating there was an intoxicated police sergeant in full uniform working an off-duty security job at Mango's Tropical Cafe, located on the 900 block of Ocean Drive, at around 4:30 a.m. Monday. Police said officers came to the nightclub and transported Muley to Mount Sinai Medical Center for medical treatment and alcohol testing.

Later that morning, the Miami Beach Police cruiser assigned to Muley was seen outside the club covered in evidence stickers. Crime scene investigators were also spotted on the scene.

"The matter is being taken very seriously," said Miami Beach Police Chief Dan Oates, who was appointed chief of Miami Beach Police in June. "I'm brand new here. We simply can't tolerate inappropriate behavior by our officers, especially with regard to alcohol, and this matter will get full investigation by this department."

News of Muley's suspension comes with the revelation that he has a direct connection to another high-profile case involving another Miami Beach Police officer accused of drinking on the job.

On Thursday, former Miami Beach Police Officer Derick Kuilan was sentenced to 18 months in prison for giving a civilian a joyride on his station-issued ATV that ended in a crash that injured two beach goers. It was alleged Kuilan had been drunk.

"He had his head down on the desk," said Muley as he reenacted Kuilan's behavior while testifying in the officer's trial. "He had his arms up, and his head down like this."

Jurors, however, were not convinced of the evidence. Kuilan was convicted of reckless driving with serious bodily injury but acquitted of DUI.

Muley was Kuilan's supervisor on the night of Kuilan's accident, which occurred in July 2011. Muley was demoted for improper supervision as a result. However, through arbitration he was eventually able to regain the rank of sergeant.

"I'm well aware of that," said Oates when asked about Muley's connection to the Kuilan case. "With regard to that, people have to recognize that that matter was adjudicated, and my understanding was that he was originally demoted, but he got his stripes back [through] arbitration. That's in the past. My immediate challenge as the new chief is to deal with this new event and do what's right for the organization."

Oates encouraged the community to provide any information they might have about Monday morning's incident. "Like any serious matter involving the department, if there's anyone in the community who saw this officer or has any evidence that might be useful to us, we ask that they come forward and let us know immediately."

It remains unknown what amount of alcohol, if any, was found in Muley's system.

The investigation remains ongoing.

Powered by WorldNow

Sunbeam Television Corp
1401 79th Street Causeway
Miami, FL 33141

Switchboard: (305) 751-6692
Newsroom: (305) 795-2777

Can't find something?
Connect with us here:
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WSVN. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.